WINTER SPORTS WILL START ON MONDAY, DECEMBER 14TH 2020 (girls hockey may be an exception stay tuned).
Winter Sports will begin on Monday, December 14th, 2020.
More information about tryout times, dates, location, transportation, and practice and facility protocols will be posted soon.
The following winter sports have been approved by the MIAA:
- Boys and Girls Ice Hockey
- Boys and Girls Basketball
MIAA and EEA Modifcations and Guidelines for Winter Sports:
The Follwing Winter Sports Have Been Moved:
- Wrestling - spring season (4/25-6/3)
- Indoor Track and Field - fall 2 season (2/22 - 4/24)
- Cheer - fall 2 or spring
12/14/2020 5:37 PM
There are no current announcements.
Swimming | Varsity
(CO-OP WITH PEABODY HS)
The winter athletic season will begin very soon. We are always interested in finding new athletes. Please understand that a commitment to a high school athletic program is 5 - 6 days each week. Practices are held after school every day and sometimes on weekends.
In order to begin practice/tryouts for any winter sport you must REGISTER on the ESSEX TECH website: http://ma.8to18.com/essextech
- Just click on the “Registration” tab at the top and follow the directions
- Pay a $100 user fee online through the registration process
- When you are prompted to enter a student ID number
- Scan and email a copy of the students last physical exam directly to the Athletic Department (firstname.lastname@example.org). In order to tryout or participate in sports students must have a current physical (within the last 13 months) on file throughout the season.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FROM HEAD COACH SHEA:
Peabody have a long history of great competitors, many of whom now hold collegiate records and have achieved even greater heights. More importantly, for whatever reason, Swimming and Diving, both high school and college, usually carries the highest average GPA... so another reason why this is a great choice!
Here are answers to the most frequently asked questions:
- PRACTICE: Practice for Peabody High Swimming is Mon - Fri 2:30 - 4:30
- Practice time for the 7th and 8th grade Higgins students and Essex Tech is 3 pm - 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, for swimming.
- All practices are held at Peabody YMCA.
- Remember, there are no buses HOME FROM PRACTICE OR MEETS, and I cannot officially set up car pools.
- You CAN do BOTH swimming and diving!
- No experience at either needed: you can be a first-year swimmer just getting into freestyle and backstroke with us, or a USA Sectional qualifier -- we take all athletes, all abilities.
- If you are a club swimmer, we try to keep the focus on your teamwork with other swimmers than on technique, which your club coach should be working on, unless there is a clear issue with technique that needs to be addressed. Almost every Olympic swimmer and diver competes both for their club as well as high school teams, and if you are athlete interested in collegiate swimming or diving then most NCAA coaches look for athletes who represented their high school, as that provides you with a little more insight into your "team/school spirit."
- We want students to do well in school: if you need to stay after school, all I ask is for an e-mail or a text message letting me know you will be delayed or will be missing practice. OTHER ESTIMATED COSTS:
- TEAM UNIFORM: We found a way to reduce costs this year. The team uniform, consists of a team swimsuit, short sleeved or long-sleeved t-shirts, hooded sweatshirt, shorts, and a knitted cap. An optional warm up suit is also available. The sizes available are in youth and adult. The team has a store portal that each family will order and pay directly and then the order is sent to the team. The team order will be sent to the team in one shipment.
- BOOSTERS: The team booster club fee is $100 (one of the lowest of all the sports at PVMHS). It is used for the end of the year team banquet, team awards, and team gifts.
- COACHING STAFF:
- This is my 10th season as PVMHS head coach and my 16th as a swimming coach. I've been involved in swimming since 1996, and was previously a National Coach for a local YMCA team and a National Certified Official for USA Swimming.
That's it for now. Please, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
GO TANNERS and HAWKS!