News and Announcements
Swimming/Diving: Important information
(CO-OP WITH PEABODY HS)
Winter sports start on November 27th, 2017.
The winter athletic season will begin very soon. We are always interested in finding new athletes. Please understand that a commitment to a high school athletic program is 5 - 6 days each week. Practices are held after school every day and sometimes on weekends.
In order to begin practice/tryouts for any winter sport you must REGISTER on the ESSEX TECH website:
- Just click on the “Registration” tab at the top and follow the directions
- Pay a $25 user fee online through the registration process
- When you are prompted to enter a student ID number
- Scan and email a copy of the students last physical exam directly to the Athletic Department (firstname.lastname@example.org). In order to tryout or participate in sports students must have a current physical (within the last 13 months) on file throughout the season.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FROM COACH SHEA:
Peabody have a long history of great competitors, many of whom now hold collegiate records and have achieved even greater heights. More importantly, for whatever reason, Swimming and Diving, both high school and college, usually carries the highest average GPA... so another reason why this is a great choice!
Here are answers to the most frequently asked questions:
- PRACTICE: Practice for Peabody High Swimming is Mon - Fri 2:30 - 4:30
- Practice time for the 7th and 8th grade Higgins students and Essex Tech is 3 pm - 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, for swimming.
- ALL Diving is Mon & Wed 6 pm - 7:30 pm, Tue & Thur 6 pm - 7 pm, Sat 10:30 - 11:30 for diving. Divers join us for swimming on Fridays
- The Captains have arranged for some pool time at the Peabody YMCA. Mondays through Thursday from 3 - 4 anyone interested in getting a refresher on the swim strokes . It is open to anyone who would like to join. The captains are willing to work all the swim strokes. This will start on November 6th.
- Remember, there are no buses HOME FROM PRACTICE OR MEETS, and I cannot officially set up car pools. However, I am asking in advance of the first day of the winter sport season on Nov 27th if anyone will be in need of a car pool.
- First day of practice is Nov 27th at the Peabody YMCA.
- You CAN do BOTH swimming and diving!
- No experience at either needed: you can be a first-year swimmer just getting into freestyle and backstroke with us, or a USA Sectional qualifier -- we take all athletes, all abilities.
- If you are a club swimmer, we try to keep the focus on your teamwork with other swimmers than on technique, which your club coach should be working on, unless there is a clear issue with technique that needs to be addressed. Almost every Olympic swimmer and diver competes both for their club as well as high school teams, and if you are athlete interested in collegiate swimming or diving then most NCAA coaches look for athletes who represented their high school, as that provides you with a little more insight into your "team/school spirit."
- We want students to do well in school: if you need to stay after school, all I ask is for an e-mail or a text message letting me know you will be delayed or will be missing practice.
OTHER ESTIMATED COSTS
- TEAM UNIFORM: We found a way to reduce costs this year. The team uniform, consists of a team swimsuit, short sleeved or long-sleeved t-shirts, hooded sweatshirt, shorts, and a knitted cap. An optional warm up suit is also available. The sizes available are in youth and adult. The team has a store portal that each family will order and pay directly and then the order is sent to the team. The team order will be sent to the team in one shipment. Store Closes 11/25/17 so we can receive the suits in time for our first meet!!!! It's very important that you order now.
- The swim suits will be available to try on, Nov 7th and Nov 10 @ the Peabody Y 3 pm
- BOOSTERS: The team booster club fee is $100 (one of the lowest of all the sports at PVMHS). It is used for the end of the year team banquet, team awards, and team gifts.
- COACHING STAFF:
- This is my 7th season as PVMHS head coach and my 16th as a swimming coach. I've been involved in swimming since 1996, and was previously a National Coach for a local YMCA team and a National Certified Official for USA Swimming
- Coach Colleen has left the team to start her family, but we are very fortunate to have Stephanie Forte, diving coach and Tanner standout diver, returning this season. She has had tremendous success with our divers and we welcome her back to the Tanners!
- Assistant Coach Julie Shea is returning for her 2nd year. Julie holds multiple team records for the St Michael's College swim team in breaststroke and the individual medley, was a conference stand-out both athletically and academically. Julie brings 15 years of experience as a competitive swimmer and was also a record-holder for the Tanners before heading to college.
That's it for now. Please, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
GO TANNERS and HAWKS !